Michigan was recently awarded a Charter Schools Program (CSP) grant from the U.S. Department of Education for the creation of high-quality charter school planning and implementation subgrants!
Program goals are:
Access to Data
MDE CSP Grant Application Process
In order to be considered, a three step application process must be undertaken.
STEP 1: Apply
Apply to be a part of the Charter Schools Program subgrant
STEP 2: Risk Assessment
Applicants receive constructive feedback on their application before the final submission
STEP 3: Peer Review
Final application submission to the Michigan Department of Education
Help with the risk assessment process
Risk Assessment Process
The Michigan Department of Education has partnered with the National Charter Schools Institute to help with the risk assessment process. We are seeking individuals to serve as risk assessment reviewers. Each reviewer will individually read and provide timely, well written comments, as well as be available to meet in person for a consensus review for approximately four applications. These reviews will provide the subgrant applicant constructive feedback prior to the applicant submitting the final Charter Schools Program subgrant application to the Michigan Department of Education.
In order to ensure high quality applications with a high rate of success, the Michigan Department of Education incorporated a risk assessment process that requires a subgrant application to be submitted for a review prior to the final subgrant application being submitted for peer review. The risk assessment review is being coordinated by the National Charter Schools Institute and will result in constructive feedback being provided to the applicant so that changes can be made to the application prior to it being submitted for peer review.
We are seeking reviewers from various professions and backgrounds, including but not limited to:
- State Education Agency charter school program grant administration
- Charter school planning, program design, and implementation
- High quality charter school start-up and expansion
- Charter school authorizing and accountability
- Charter school research and evaluation
- Charter school policy and research
- Charter school technical assistance and resources
- Charter school leadership and professional development
- Charter school administration and operations
- Charter school developer or leader
Requirements and Availability
Reviewers must commit to:
- completing the reviewer application and submitting a resume
- participating in a training via webinar
- completing individual reviews within the allotted time frame
- attending an in-person consensus meeting
- participating as a member of a review team
- providing detailed, objective, constructive and timely, well written reviews for each assigned application
- signing a conflict of interest statement
- having access to technology (computer, printer, internet capability and phone)
Conflict of Interest
Individuals must be willing to complete and sign a Conflict of Interest Form. Please note that if your organization intends to apply for a grant under this CSP competition, you will not be eligible to serve as a reviewer. As a reviewer, you will have a conflict of interest if:
- You helped prepare an application, regardless of financial interest in the success or failure of that application;
- You have agreed to serve, or you have been offered a position, as an employee, advisor, or consultant on the project; and/or
- Your personal financial interest will be affected by the outcome of the competition, which would include any family members, employees or associates of the project applying for funding.
Compensation for Reviews
Risk assessment reviewers will be put in groups of three, with one person being the leader reviewer, and will be paid a stipend as follows:
Payment for reviewers is contingent upon attendance at all required training and the satisfactory completion of the review requirements including a consensus score and well-written, constructive feedback for the applicant. A travel stipend for reviewers will be provided.
Thank you for your interest. We are not accepting applications at this time.