We do three things really well:
coaching, consulting and inspiring!
This is what the charter movement is all about. And it's why we are so passionate about what we do. We believe in helping people and organizations achieve breakthrough performance. Receive professional, candid and objective advice from a trusted and respected source. We provide coaching and consulting services for authorizers, schools, boards and support organizations. We help organizations overcome challenges and remain steadfast on their journey from good to great.
The 4 characteristics of an alpha authorizer
Authorizers—and the critical role they play in the charter sector—are not well understood. At the Institute, we know great authorizing is an art and a science - and we know it matters. The laws and regulations governing charter schools vary by state - and so do the roles and responsibilities of authorizers. The 1,015 active authorizers in America differ greatly in their commitment and capacity. But they all share three functions in common: gatekeeping, overseeing, and evaluating performance. Some authorizers are capable of doing much more though. We call these Alpha Authorizers. They go beyond the basics and function as catalysts for innovation and excellence.
- Challenge the “givens”
- Foster an environment that attracts talent, capital and entrepreneurship
- Influence policy and practice
- Provide leadership and ideas for improving education
- Change the incentives by withdrawing the exclusive
- Charter new schools so people have choices
- Foster an environment that attracts can-do people
Forces of Quality
- Preserve discretionary judgment and autonomy
- Differentiate practices
- Thoroughly screen applications and applicants
- Issue performance-based charter contracts
- Measure and evaluate performance
- Intervene when people fail to perform
Catalysts for Excellence
- Protect, preserve and advance the idea behind
- Make authorizing an understood and respected
- Recognize and reward performance
- Encourage the replication and expansion of success