With organization comes empowerment
One of the pillars of our work at the Institute is empowering charter school boards to govern effectively and wisely. We know that people choose to serve on charter school boards for many reasons. But there's one reason that unites everyone. And that is to make a difference for kids. It's the reason that board members give up their time and offer evenings and weekends for meetings and retreats; ensure that budgets are balanced; ask the tough questions about school performance; and serve as ambassadors for their schools. This is challenging work but it is the work that positions schools for success. We support the important work of board members in many ways. The cornerstone of our support to boards is through providing board policies, procedures and best practices.
12 Board Responsibilities
Boards that govern for greatness understand management's role is to execute, and the board's role is to ensure. Be proactive, ask wise questions and focus on what truly matters. Ensuring your board fulfills these 12 responsibilities will help advance your school to greatness. We are proud to partner with you and support boards in this process.
1. ENSURE all students are being prepared for success in college, work and life.
2. ENSURE the public’s money and resources are well stewarded.
3. ENSURE the organization is run by a great leader and infused with a positive culture and learning environment.
4. ENSURE the terms of the charter contract are fulfilled and the organization is prepared for renewal.
5. ENSURE the organization is true to its vision, mission and values.
6. ENSURE goals are clear and people and programs are wisely empowered, supported, evaluated and held accountable.
7. ENSURE the organization operates legally and ethically.
8. ENSURE the organization
continuously improves and stays
9. ENSURE the board recruits, orients and develops its members and its capacity to govern.
10. ENSURE the board adopts and properly maintains its governing policies.
11. ENSURE the board speaks with one voice.
12. ENSURE the board and its members are positive ambassadors for the charter idea!
Download our 12 Board
We have a team of experts well experienced in educational policies and procedures! How can we help?
Great Boards govern wisely. They know the difference between governance and management. They cultivate trust and respect, establish high expectations and encourage the heart. Put our years of hands-on experience with boards to work for you, and we’ll show you the transformational impact boards can have when they govern for greatness.